Posts for tag: cosmetic dentistry
Find out how cosmetic fillings not only restore teeth but also improve their appearance.
Cavities are one of the most common dental problems that both children and adults face. In fact, according to the NIH, 92 percent of adults between the ages of 20 to 64 have experienced cavities. This means that it’s more than likely that at some point you may be faced with the same issue. Don’t worry; our Pekin, IL restorative dentists Dr. Stephen Dickey and Dr. Kevin Conroy have you covered with natural tooth-colored dental fillings.
What is a dental filling?
By now, most people know that a dental filling is designed to restore and reshape a tooth that has been damaged by decay. This is one of the most common dental restorations out there. Of course, what you might not realize is that dental fillings can be created from different materials, which all offer varying benefits. Dental fillings can be made from,
- Silver amalgam
- Composite resin
While metal fillings are more durable and last a bit longer one of the main issues our Pekin, IL, cosmetic dentists noticed was just how unsightly and noticeable metal fillings were. No one enjoys smiling or laughing knowing that people are seeing a mouth full of metal. This is where cosmetic fillings come in.
Why choose cosmetic fillings?
Cosmetic fillings are most often made from composite resin because not only is this material tooth-colored but it can also be matched to the shade of your tooth so that it will blend in flawlessly. No one should be able to see your filling, which is why cosmetic fillings are ideal.
Besides the most obvious benefit that cosmetic fillings are designed to match natural tooth enamel, the next benefit is that it also improves the strength of a tooth. As you can imagine, a decaying tooth isn’t as strong as a healthy one. Our goal is to be able to restore as much of the strength and resilience back into the tooth as possible. It’s possible that this composite filling could almost completely restore the tooth back to its original strength.
Plus, cosmetic fillings are placed under local anesthesia, which means that the area will be numb prior to removing the cavity. As a result, people experience little to no discomfort during this simple treatment.
If you have questions about getting your upcoming dental filling don’t hesitate to call your dentist. We would be happy to answer all of your questions and make sure you are ready and prepared for your upcoming dental procedure. Call Total Dental Care in Pekin, IL!
Congratulations—you’re engaged! It’s a stupendous (and hectic) time in your life as you plan your upcoming wedding.
You want to look your best for the big day—which means you may be dieting, exercising or making changes to your hairstyle and makeup. Be sure, though, to consider another important part of your appearance—your teeth and gums. Here are a few options that could help your wedding day smile shine even more.
Cleanings and whitening. While dental cleanings are primarily about removing disease-causing plaque and tartar they can also give your teeth that clean and polished look. And if you want an extra boost in brightness, consider whitening—we may be able to lighten up your teeth’s stain-induced dullness.
Bonding. If your teeth have slight imperfections—chipping, slight gaps or staining that doesn’t respond well to whitening, consider bonding techniques to repair or cover these defects. Composite resin is a dental material that can be shaped and bonded to teeth to reform a deformed tooth—and with color matching as well. For more extensive defects you can cover the front of imperfect teeth with bonded porcelain veneers or completely cap a tooth with a custom crown.
Tooth restorations. If you have missing teeth marring your smile, you have several options. The top choice: dental implants, which replaces the root of the tooth and will be able to have a crown attached to it. An implant can thus restore both better function and appearance. For more affordable options, you can also turn to fixed bridges or removable dentures. The latter can be custom designed to replace all the teeth on a jaw arch or just a few in different locations.
Gum enhancements. Teeth aren’t the only part of your smile that might need a helpful touch—your gums’ appearance might also be a problem. There are cosmetic procedures including plastic surgery and tissue grafting that can help correct overly prominent “gummy” smiles or, at the other end of the spectrum, longer appearing teeth because of gum recession.
Orthodontics. If you have extended time before the wedding date, we may be able to correct crooked teeth or a poor bite (malocclusion) that’s adversely impacting your smile. In some cases, you may be able to choose clear aligners, removable plastic trays that are hardly noticeable to others, over more visible braces to correct your bite.
Want a more beautiful smile?
Your Pekin, IL, dentists Dr. Stephen Dickey and Dr. Kevin Conroy, have a great solution that's both cost effective and time saving. If you're interested in finding out more about veneers and how they can help you, then you've come to the right place!
Who needs veneers?
Think of veneers as a resurfacing process. Your Pekin doctor eliminates the flaws ruining your smile. Here are some examples of what veneers can cover:
- Dents, grooves, cracks and fractures found on the surface of your teeth that may have been caused by injury, for example.
- Slight gaps, overcrowdedness, and crooked and misshaped teeth can be fixed. These issues can simply be hereditary, but cause issues with bite and chewing function.
- Discoloration and stains can be removed to give you a brighter smile. Discoloration could be due to age or other factors like smoking or drinking tea and coffee.
What's the process like?
Veneers are porcelain shells that are installed to the surface of your teeth. They have color stability, which means they are resistant to staining.
This is what the process is like:
- The dentist will examine your teeth and make sure you have no severe issues, like cavities, that may need to be treated first. Then they will assess whether veneers are right for you.
- If you're a good fit, the doctor will remove some enamel off the surface of your teeth. This is a permanent procedure, so make sure veneers are something you are comfortable with. The enamel is removed so the veneers align properly with the rest of your natural teeth or other veneers that will be installed as well.
How to care for veneers?
Porcelain veneers are strong, but it's important to take proper care of them. Brushing and flossing are essential and don't skip your bi-yearly exam with your doctor.
Veneers are a great way to improve the appearance of your smile, so call your Pekin, IL, dentist today!
Before we discuss cosmetic options for transforming your smile, and before any preparations for treatment, there’s one question that needs to be answered: What do you want to be different about your smile?
There’s a common misconception that cosmetic changes to the teeth and gums — a “smile makeover” — is primarily a technical achievement based on rigid principles of beauty. Patients believe they must defer to their dentists for what will look best. But that’s not the entire picture: what’s often lost in the understanding is that it’s your smile — the smile at the end of the process you must be comfortable showing with confidence.
In this regard, there are two types of patients, with no right or wrong view — simply what a patient perceives as the smile they want. Some want the “perfect” smile — the greatest level of regularity between teeth shape, size and alignment and the maximum level of brightness. Others are more comfortable with a “natural” smile, a more subtle look with just enough change to create something new and different. The latter may even desire a less than perfect look that doesn’t “fix” all their imperfections — the ones they believe give their face “character.”
Knowing to which side you lean is important at the outset. It’s then important for you to communicate those expectations with us. While we’re focused on the technical aspects of treatment — tooth length, the lineup of teeth with other facial features or the gum-to-lip distance — only you can express what’s going to be a beautiful yet comfortable smile for you. By meshing the technical requirements with your personal desires, we’re able to formulate a makeover plan that fits you.
It all begins with a comprehensive examination to determine the exact health state of your mouth, and it may be necessary to first perform dental work to improve it. From there we can discuss what is and isn’t possible to change the appearance of your teeth and gums. In the end, we want the same result as you — a beautiful smile you’re happy and confident to show the world.
If you would like more information on smile makeovers, please contact us or schedule an appointment for a consultation. You can also learn more about this topic by reading the Dear Doctor magazine article “Great Expectations: Is what you get what you want?”
As the popularity of cosmetic dentistry rises, more and more procedures are available. From teeth whitening to gum surgery, cosmetic procedures vary wildly. However, with all these options, choosing the best procedure for you may prove to be difficult. It is easy with help from your Pekin, IL dentists to you determine which procedures will benefit you.
- Bonding: Cosmetic bonding involves correcting small imperfections with composite resin materials. These imperfections most often include chips or small gaps.
- Braces: Orthodontic treatment serves to straighten the teeth and correct issues with bite, such as overbite, underbite or crossbite. Braces also help bring together gaps and even out overcrowding.
- Bridges: Bridges replace a missing tooth via a dental appliance connected to two natural teeth on either side of the gap. The bridge connects to the teeth using either metal clasps or dental crowns.
- Crowns:Dental crowns stabilize and strengthen a damaged or weakened tooth. The tooth-shaped, cap-like crown fits over a natural tooth.
- Contouring/Reshaping: These procedures repair uneven, slightly chipped, or misaligned teeth by reshaping the tooth to improve appearance.
- Dental Implants: If you are missing one or more teeth, dental implants surgically implanted into the bone below a missing tooth replace the root. A dental crown attached to the implant replaces a tooth, providing a permanent replacement.
- Periodontal: Dentists use periodontal procedures to reverse gum disease, even out gum lines and repair exposed roots.
- Teeth whitening: One of the most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments, teeth whitening uses chemical reactions between the whitening agents and your teeth’s stains to provide a whiter appearance. Many patients schedule whitening sessions once or twice a year.
- Veneers: Veneers are very thin shells of porcelain which fit over the front of the teeth. Veneers repair a myriad of abnormalities in the teeth, including cracks, chips, overlaps, gaps, staining, yellowing and misaligned teeth.
For more information on cosmetic dentistry procedures, please contact Dr. Stephen E. Dickey and Dr. Kevin Conroy at Total Dental Care in Pekin, IL. Call (309) 347-7055 to schedule your appointment today!